Friday, October 9, 2009

The Purpose of His Temple

I was reading this morning in 1 Kings chapter 8 which contains Solomon's prayer as the temple was finished and the dedication began. This is a beautiful and powerful picture as God's glory fills the temple. God's glory was so "thick" the priest could not stay in the Holy Place. His presence was undeniable. God's majesty and transcendence is recognized by Solomon when he asks the question "but will God indeed dwell on earth?" (1 Kings 8:27 ESV) Solomon goes on to say "heaven and the highest heaven cannot contain you; how much less this house that I have built!" It was an amazing thought that God, who is so much greater than His creation, could reside on earth; but He can and does. As amazing it was for Solomon to conceive that God would come and reside, in part, in the temple he built, it's even more amazing that God resides in His Temple today. But now it's a different temple described by Paul as an "earthen vessel". It's us! That's just awesome! How can God reside on earth? How can God be contained in a place like this? I'm sure I can't begin to completely explain that, but, I have to reflect on how powerful and awesome that is. God, the creator of all that exists, lives in His Temple and that temple is me! (See 1 Corinthians 3:16 and 6:19)

So, what does this mean? Well, first it's a picture of how things will be eternally. God will forever be in our midst and we will be forever with Him. John wrote "Behold,  the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God." We have a taste today of our eternity if we have a relationship with Him which leads to an eternal salvation; He is with (in) us. There's a second much more immediate truth for us today in regard to God's purpose for His temple. Solomon hit on it a little later in his prayer in 1 Kings 8. As I read through Solomon's prayer this resonates in my mind as I contemplate my being the temple of God. Solomon speaks of the time when foreigners would come and witness this temple which houses the glory of the Lord and what that would produce. He says "they shall hear of your great name and your mighty hand, and of your outstretched arm." Why would God make his home in us? One reason is that it shows God as making a down payment for our redemption. (See Ephesians 1:13-14; meaning of the word translated "guarantee" NKJV) The second reason is what Solomon touches on. It's so the world can witness Him. And notice what happens we they see Him. Solomon continues by saying "all the peoples of the earth may know your name." Wow!

I have to ask myself and I'll ask you too; do the people who do not know God see Him when they approach me (you)? If I'm the temple in which God resides then like Solomon's Temple His glory should be undeniable; His presence in my life obvious to all who approach. Is the temple of my body like the temple Solomon built? I think the apostle Paul would say "it's better!" We the redeemed live filled by the Holy Spirit, God Himself in us. The reason, so the whole world will see the glory, majesty and power of God in and through our lives. You know, any day is a great day when I reflect on that; God Himself makes His home in me. May He be glorified!

1 comments:

Jeff said...

I enjoyed reading your message about how God lives in us.

Post a Comment