I’ve often stated that eternal security is a dangerous doctrine. I’m not saying that I don’t believe in eternal security, I’m just stating that it is dangerous. The difficulty in the doctrine is that many rely on eternal security without experiencing fruit. In other words, I say yes to Christ, say a prayer, then, live the rest of my life in security. The outcome is a life that does not see the change Jesus intends. The other extreme is to accept salvation by faith and by the work of the Spirit, then, demand that “right” living comes by how we live in the flesh. This leads to frustration and uncertainty. How much is enough?
Can we live this life, in Christ, and experience the change He desires for us without fear of whether or not we are “doing” enough? This is a question with which many struggle. We become confused many times by mixing works with our faith. This is not to say that our faith does not result in certain works, it does. James makes that clear. Those of us who would never rely on works in order to come to salvation, however, sometimes find ourselves struggling with works in order to stay in a right standing. The truth is this; if we cannot rely on works to bring us to salvation (a right standing before God), then, we cannot rely on works to keep it. How then do we balance this? How can we know we are doing and changing the way Christ desires? The answer if found in John 15.
John 15:1-5 demonstrates both the question and the answer. Jesus states that He is the vine. Anyone who does not produce, that is with the vine, the Father will purge; cut off. That’s scary in and of itself. So, how do I do enough so I’m not cast away? The answer comes two fold. First, we are incapable of “doing” enough in and of ourselves. That is why frustration and fear comes when we try. Jesus answers the question of “how” in verse 5. “Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit.” It is through Christ’s ability we are able to bear fruit and remain in Him; not ours. He goes on to say “for apart from me you can do nothing.” So, how do we live without the frustration of trying to “do” enough? Remain in Him and let Him “do” through us.
The remainder of the answer is found in verse 3. This is the release of fear. The most wonderful, beautiful and joyful truth about belonging to Christ is the fact that I don’t have to live in fear. His promise for that is spoken in this way; “already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you.” What word? “You are in Me!” David sums this up very well in Psalm 25. “To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul. O my God, I trust in You.” Not only does David put all of his trust in the Lord but also realizes that God’s direction is the path. This parallels with Jesus’ words “abide in me.” Verses 4-5 of Psalm 25, among other verses, sum this up. “Show me Your ways, O Lord; Teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, For You are the God of my salvation; On You I wait all the day.” You cannot rely on yourself to live a fruitful life any more than you can rely on yourself to save your own soul. So, in order to live without frustration and fear, as the old adage states, let go and let God. The more you try and live it by your own power, that is by your flesh, the more you will find frustration and fear.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I find myself frequently having a discussion with a friend of mine about whether we are doing enough for the lost in our community and have felt the frustration you talked about here whether are doing enough 'works' in Christ. I think sometimes the desire to do good in Christ conflicts with our willingness to be set apart.
This is something I've been dealing with myself lately. Sanctification is to be set apart, by God, for His purpose. But, that covers more than just witness. Sanctification covers all aspects of life. What has happened with fundamental Christianity is we've hyper separated. That is, we've removed ourselves completely from the culture and now are on the outside. The lost now view us as sanctimonious people pointing a finger of condemnation at them instead of trying to shine a light of love to them. Instead of being salt of flavor we've become salt in a wound. That's why the Spirit has to lead. We have to be in the culture but separated from a life of sin.
Post a Comment